Wednesday 27 June 2012

Review: Metric "Synthetica"

Image: Wikipedia
As many of my friends know, I am a huge Metric fan. Since I first experienced their live show back in 2005, I have been hooked. There I was, watching, mesmerized by this intense, petite blonde singer. She was kicking ass on stage and I loved every minute of it. That was the moment that I fell in love with Metric. Since then, I have seen them live about 6 or 7 times. I will also be seeing them twice this summer, which is exciting.

On June 12, Metric released their fifth album entitled "Synthetica". The album starts off strong, with "Artificial Nocturne." Haines sings "I'm just as fucked up as they say..." and will send a chill down your spine. Their first single "Youth Without Youth" is quite catchy and will definitely become an indie summer anthem. The album contains many strong songs that can definitely stand on their own but that work very well together.

Overall, this album definitely includes more synthesizer than the last album "Fantasies", especially with tracks like "Dreams So Real".  The overall sound of the ablum is reminiscent of their "Live it Out" days, which is one of my favourite albums of all time. My favourite track on the album so far is "Speed the Collapse". I can't wait to dance to that song at their shows this summer!

This is a really strong album for Metric, showcasing their evolution while remaining true to the original Metric sound. Hardcore fans will be pleased. Besides, Metric can do no wrong in my eyes.


No comments:

Post a Comment