Saturday 19 January 2013

Enjoy the Silence

Yesterday was a busy day at work. Out of all the things on my to-do list that morning, I had to take 90 minutes off in order to supervise students during a test.

I wasn't exactly thrilled with this responsibility, since I had tons on my plate that I needed to get done. This task was going to prevent from being productive for that period of time. However, another reason I was dreading this responsibility is that I couldn't imagine being in a quiet room, with absolutely nothing to do! I would go insane... 90 minutes is a long time!

That morning, I came prepared for my supervising task. I brought two magazines and my iPod. I hadn't touched my magazines in a while, so I thought this would be a good time to dust them off and actually finish reading them. I was also thinking that my iPod might keep me from going crazy while the students wrote their test.

Here's the thing: my headphones are not exactly soundproof. If you're standing next to me while I'm listening to my iPod, you can hear the music. Seeing as we were in a really small room, and there was only two students writing the test, it was REALLY quiet! So as a sign of respect for the students, I decided not to listen to my iPod at all.

I thought to myself: "Great. This is going to be the longest 90 minutes of my life". However, as I began reading my Yoga Journal magazines, the quiet didn't bother me. I actually liked it. I began to enjoy the silence and I became very, very relaxed. It was actually nice to take time and zone out, and give my mind a break. After a crazy week at work, I feel like I needed a 90 minutes of silence.

This completely surprised me but I am thrilled that I got a little break yesterday morning. From now on, I'm definitely going to start embracing silence a lot more.

And wouldn't you know, "Enjoy the Silence" happens to be my favourite Depeche Mode song. You can check out the video below. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment