Saturday 29 June 2013

Review: Heathers @ Cafe Dekcuf

On Thursday, I went to Cafe Dekcuf to check out Heathers. I had seen posters of the upcoming show in the downtown area, and I was intrigued. I had never heard of the group before, but for some reason, I felt like it would be my kind of music.

On Wednesday, I was listening to CBC Radio's All in a Day, and they were giving away tickets to the show, and I won! I never win anything, so I was quite excited.

The show began with Peas & Carrots, whose set we missed unfortunately. We did catch the very last song, which featured the lovely Samantha playing the ukelele and singing.  She sounded fantastic and I am hoping that I can catch the group play soon.

Then was the turn of Those Gulls.The electro/rock/pop band reminded me a bit of Metric, which is one of my favourite bands. Although all of the elements of the band were good, but there was something missing. I believe the band just needs to more practice.

Finally, the lovely duo, Heathers take the stage. Twin sisters Ellie and Louise Macnamara are from Dublin, Ireland, and they rock a wicked accent!

Heathers 2
Image: http://entertainment.ie
From the first song, I was hooked. They were absolutely fantastic! I really enjoyed their sound. Their blend of folk, rock and pop music is infectious and totally endearing. These girls truly enjoy playing live music together. You can just tell.

The siblings are currently touring to support their second LP, "Kingdom". The highlight of their performance was an amazing cover of Lana Del Rey's "Summertime Sadness", which is my favourite Lana Del Rey track. It was absolutely beautiful.

In most instances where I had zero expectations going into a show, I am blown away. This show was no exception! Also, seeing as the Macnamara sisters are from so far away, I feel extremely lucky to have been able to catch this show.

These girls are the real deal! Go check out Heathers now!


***
Side note: One thing that I absolutely hate is when people talk during a live show. I feel like it is so disrespectful to both the musicians and other audience members. I realize that people go to shows for different reasons and lots of people go to shows to socialize. I understand that, but I go to shows to see shows... Maybe that's just me.

During the show, there were musicians in the audience who were talking really loudly. This really bothered me, not only because it was distracting but because these people are musicians. If anyone should know the importance of paying attention during someone's show, it should be another musician. I found this so disrespectful on so many levels. I would think that someone would feel grateful to have the opportunity to play for a live audience. I also would think that if anyone knew the pressures of playing in front of an audience and working to keep their attention, that it would be another musician.

Safe to say, I found this extremely disrespectful. What do you guys think?

No comments:

Post a Comment